On October 17, the Great Sanctification service was held with the participation of the Metropolitan Barsanuphius of St. Petersburg and Ladoga.
“Today, we are witnessing a great sacrament at the Church of the Smolensk Mother of God Icon dedication service in Pulkovo,” explains Galina Romashova, Manager of the Charity Fund dedicated to Christian monument restoration. “It is a high-profile event for Saint Petersburg. The most important thing is not just building the church itself, but attracting churchgoers. We can see that city residents need this church; that is the highest reward for us”.
Initially, the church was founded in 1783 on the order of Catherine the Great with government funds allocated by the Empress. The Church of the Smolensk Mother of God Icon was officially dedicated in 1785.
The church was closed in 1938. The church and chapel buildings were destroyed down to their foundations during the Second World War.
A wooden eight-pointed memorial cross was erected in summer 2009 on the church foundations. On August 10, 2011, the first service was held at the church site.
On September 14, 2011, the first stone was laid on the church foundations based on the previous ones. Markell (Vetrov), bishop of Peterhof, assisted by archpriests Victor Moskovsky and Gennady Zverev and priest Daniil Vasilevsky laid its foundation.
Crosses were erected and consecrated on July 4, 2014.
Fragments of the foundations of the Church of the Smolensk Mother of God Icon were found at the ExpoForum construction design stage. The rare design church with two bell towers built in the 18th century by Giacomo Quarenghi and lost during the war years has been restored according to the preserved drawings and images of the architect.
The construction project has been developed by architectural office “Liteynaya Chast-91”. The construction contractor was SMU-837 LLC.
The Charity Christian Monument Reconstruction Fund was founded to reconstruct the Church of the Smolensk Mother of God Icon with the blessing of the Russian Orthodox Church.